3.03.2010

JULIE BLACKMON: New Domestic Vacations

Loading Zone, 2009 © Julie Blackmon / All rights reserved

Portrait, 2009 © Julie Blackmon / All rights reserved

The After Party, 2010 © Julie Blackmon / All rights reserved

Tinkertoys, 2010 © Julie Blackmon / All rights reserved

The stress, the chaos, and the need to simultaneously escape and connect are issues that I investigate in this body of work....I believe there are moments that can be found throughout any given day that bring sanctuary. It is in finding these moments amidst the stress of the everyday that my life as a mother parallels my work as an artist, and where the dynamics of family life throughout time seem remarkably unchanged. As an artist and as a mother, I believe life’s most poignant moments come from the ability to fuse fantasy and reality: to see the mythic amidst the chaos.

6 comments:

Caio Fern said...

i agree with what she said ...
the second , and tird works are so....palpable and wonderful at the same time .
lovely .

JMW said...

I love that "see the mythic amidst the chaos." As a mom, that really resonates with me. And, I love the photo title "Tinker Toys." Brings back childhood memories.

Ann said...

I love them all..each brings a special feeling to me,speaks it's own words..however "loading zone" is my favorite...it just touches me in a way that I can't explain.
Thank you for sharing these photos from your book.

Ann said...

...Julie's book.....so sorry, writing this while listening to my 3 grandkids!!

Gillian said...

I'm enjoying this work. Are these directed tableaux or photoshopped? Either way, I empathise with juggling work and motherhood, the mythical with the banal, the need to BE with ones loved ones and environment, and the need for escape and adventure.

Dallas Arts Salon said...

These are wonderful!